How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Drhollowayvet Your Own Question
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 782
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Drhollowayvet is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She got into my suitcase and ate about 18 oz of fudge. She

Customer Question

She got into my suitcase and ate about 18 oz of fudge. She weight 20 lbs and has eliminated most of it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella and weights 20 lbs
JA: How old is Stella?
Customer: 14 months
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?
Customer: That her mother made a bad mistake! She is drinking a lot now.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pet Stella ingested a large amount of fudge. This amount sounds like it could be toxic but give me a few moments to calculate this. I will be back momentarily with further instructions on how to care for Stella.

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 2 months ago.

This is a severe amount of chocolate ingestion for a pet this size. I highly recommend taking Stella to your local ER vet right away. This level of chocolate ingestion can cause death and is considered extremely toxic.

I understand that she may have vomited up most of it, but during vomiting only 60% of the stomach contents at most are brought back up, so there could still be a considerable amount still in her stomach and she requires additional treatment (i.e. activated charcoal +/- fluid therapy and supportive care). Symptoms of chocolate intoxication can take several hours to develop and can last for up to 12-24 hrs. I really hope that Stella will be ok.

- Dr. H

Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello again I am checking back in with you and Stella. I sure hope that you got her medical treatment and wanted to know how she was doing. Feel free to update me on her status at your convenience. Thank you.

- Dr. H