Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog's entire side of his face is swollen. I've been in

Customer Question

My dog's entire side of his face is swollen. I've been in and out of the vets for the past two weeks and they can't figure it out. Initially the swelling caused bleeding from the ear and it went down after the bleeding drained out. After that they performed a sedated procedure to take a culture sample and x-rays of his ear/face. The swelling came back and it was small this morning but now it's his entire side of his face. I don't know what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He's deaf
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How old is your dog, please? Do you have the results of his culture and X-rays? Becaue the ear isn't connected to the rest of the face, bleeding from the ear in association with facial swelling suggests a connection between the two areas as might occur with neoplastic (cancerous) invasion. This can be a challenge to clarify without advanced imaging such as CT or MRI.