How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 26819
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog Roxy a 1yr old terrier mix licked antifreeze 4 times

Customer Question

My dog Roxy a 1yr old ***** ***** terrier mix licked antifreeze 4 times from the asphalt before I knew what she was doing. Now she's vomiting and has vomited 8 times. First she vomited 3 times than she drank water and then she vomited another 5 times.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Catherine, please don't hesitate to have Roxy attended to by an on call vet at your earliest convenience. It takes very little ethylene glycol in antifreeze to cause acute renal failure. Just 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) is lethal to a 22 lb (10 kg) dog. Vomiting is often the initial sign of toxicity and is often followed by ataxia ("drunken sailor") within 1-2 hours post-ingestion.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't afford to take her to a vet right now
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I understand. Unfortunately, there's nothing of value caretakers can do at home for dogs intoxicated by ethylene glycol. Is it possible that she ingested one of the non-ethylene glycol-containing antifreezes - those that contain propylene glycol instead?