Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog had a hard lump (covered in hair and not red) on his

Customer Question

Hi! My dog had a hard lump (covered in hair and not red) on his snout between his eye and nose and it does not appear to hurt him but it is new today It is about the size of a large pea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Casey and he is 6
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Casey?
Customer: I suppose it is bigger than a pea--like a raspberries
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 23 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. "Raspberry" usually indicates the benign histiocytoma.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok, thanks. This is the first time we have ever seen anything like this on his
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Sure it isn't bumpy

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look...

I see a diffuse swelling obscured by hair. Considerations include a tooth root abscess, subcutaneous abscess if the skin had been penetrated by a bite or puncture wound, and even cancer of underlying bone or subcutaneous tissues. It's important that Casey's vet take a look at this at your earliest convenience. The swelling can be aspirated and the aspirate microscopically examined and X-rays of that area looking for bony involvement might be recommended. Take a close look inside Casey's mouth for swelling/inflammation in her gum underneath that swelling. Let me know if you see anything unusual, please.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Nothing inside his mouth that I can see. The skin through the hair is not red. I have a fatty cyst behind my ear and it feels like that
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Almost like it could move a little

Thank you for checking. It would be an unusual site for a lipoma - benign fatty growth - but it's certainly possible. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok we Will take him to the vet tomorrow
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Is it serious do you think?

Not necessarily. If it came up quickly, it might represent something simple like an envenomation by a flying insect or spider.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok, thanks

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.