Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
96382098

This has been going on for over a month now. My dog suddenly

Customer Question

Hello. This has been going on for over a month now. My dog suddenly for the first time ever wouldn't move. We had to pick him up and carry him in the house then the next day he was fine. We thought he may have been experiencing pain in hips as they have been an issue his whole life. Then a few days later he didn't eat his dinner and suddenly he couldn't move again. He looks around and seems alert and fine otherwise. After the second time we took him to our vet and they ran blood work and did X-rays. Everything came back good except he was anemic. We gave him pumpkin and liver as well as antibiotics and pain mess per the vets instructions. Nothing seemed to change. Over the next two weeks he would be fine a few days then won't walk for one then fine a few more then can't walk again. It is the strangest thing. I am really worried he is suffering but he does seem to be okay on the days he is fine. The vet doesn't seem to be able to figure out what is going on with him so I am wondering if you have ever heard of such on again off again symptoms? Also he still is anemic and I do not know if that is related to the walking or something completely unrelated just happening at the same time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** and I can help you. I'm sorry you are having problems with george.

What kind of dog is he?

Do you know the lab value of his anemia?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not know his value, my vet did not give me that information. George is a pit bull/Lab mix.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

I am going to pass this back to another vet so they can help you with an answer (It's late in my neck of the woods). Good luck with George and someone will come to help you.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

Hi there I am sorry no one got back to you last night but I can try and help you today.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

Does george take any medications daily for pain/arthritis?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just since this is all started he's been taking vet Profen per the vets instructions.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

I am typing a response...ill be right back

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

I wonder if he is having good and bad days with arthritis and his age. I can offer a phone consult but If you prefer we can type.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

Things to consider for george would be weakness from arthritis. When he sleeps he can regain his strength and have good days and bad. Spinal problems can also look like what you are describing. I wish I knew the degree of his anemia because this may be part of the problem.

I would like to help you more. Do you have more questions for me?

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 2 months ago.

From reading your question it appears you have concern about quality of life also. I can help you. I am leaving the computer now but will be back later. I will look for you reply.