Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10wk old American Bulldog was recently hospitalized for

Customer Question

My 10wk old American Bulldog was recently hospitalized for parvo, He was actually starving when I was finally allowed to see him through a window, staff telling me he wouldn't eat. I signed him out AMA and he's eating everything in sight though I'm limiting amounts at this time. No nausea but stools remain non-formed but not liquid or bloody.I've started him on Immodium but don't know the actual dose to give him. He weighed 20lbs when he went in the hospital. I'm estimating he's about 10lbs at this time. Very active and all is as it was before he got sick
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bulldog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, vet diagnosed him initially with coccidium, then a day or two later said it was Parvo. The dog had been through all therapy but wouldn't eat and still had diarrhea per vet. I just told her that obviously he was not doing well in their care and being an RN I felt I could try better at home.I found hat Immodium could be given but don't know the3 dose for a 10lb pup. When I brought him home he immediately drank over half a bottle of water and ate ~ 1cup of mashed pork roast,potatoes,and carrots
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: The vet apparently did not know what to do as I think my dog would have died in the next couple of days. He's 10wks old. I just need a dose on the Immodium.As I said he weighs approximately 10lbs. They never weighed him while he was there
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about would?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 16 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.