Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

All of our nine puppies that are seven weeks old have

Customer Question

All of our nine puppies that are seven weeks old have diarrhea and wondered what I shoul do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Tina, it would be prudent to worm your pups with an over the counter product containing either pyrantel pamoate, or, preferably, fenbendazole which addresses all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. Pups should be wormed every 2 weeks once they reach 2 weeks of age. If you didn't see a positive response to the fenbendazole, coccidia are likely to be present and coccidia are addressed with the prescription sulfadimethoxine or, preferably, the presciption ponazuril.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks so much for your help. We took them a fecal sample to the doctor who said no worms or parasites so now we are not sure what to do. They are scheduled for shots in Monday but there is no substance to the poops. We called back after getting these results and they indicated to try cooked rice. They are drinking like crazy.

Thank you for the additional information. Fecal ova and parasite exams are too often falsely negative. It would be prudent to worm them/treat for coccidia anyway. They're drinking in that manner because they're losing fluid in their persistent diarrhea. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Our vet won't prescribe anything because the test came out negative. We started them on solid food today hoping that might help and they ate it all this morning. After we added rice they have no interest in it. So they really haven't eaten since this morning when they do try to go to the bathroom it is extremely gassy.

Ugh. You can purchase an over the counter fenbendazole-containing wormer (Panacur) in many pet/feed stores. Your vet is ignoring the standard of care.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is it better if we get a prescription and then how long after before we see results. What about them not eating.

The over the counter Panacur is identical to that which is prescribed by vets. If susceptible parasites are present, you would see dramatic improvement within 72 hours. I can understand their not eating if they're crampy. You can force feed with a gruel made from their puppy food. A small poultry baster placed between their cheek teeth and cheek will facilitate the administration of the gruel. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry to be a pest but at what point should I be concerned if they are not eating.

At their young age, 36 hours of anorexia is dangerous. You're not a pest. I'm here to answer all of your questions. I can even tell you the capital of Zimbabwe.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
we have now changed dog food after funding blue buffalo is hard on young puppies tummies and now we have a few poops that are white. What could this mean.

It means a lack of bile (actually stercobilinogen - what bile is metabolized into by the bacteria in the intestinal tract) in the feces. Either the liver isn't producing bile, the gall bladder isn't releasing bile regularly, or there's an obstruction to the flow of bile into the intestinal tract (unlikely in 9 pups). It's likely to be a temporary condition at their age.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I be concerned or treat it.

No, "watchful waiting" is appropriate because I expect that the white poops will be a transient finding.