Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Do I have to pay you to get a question answered? May I ask

Customer Question

Do I have to pay you to get a question answered?
JA: You end up paying for the answer if you are satisfied with it.
Customer: May I ask how much?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My 12 year old shih tzu, Sophie, has a BUN/Creatinine ratio of 30 (high) and a 624 platelet count (high). My vet says she needs to hydrate as much as possible to help flush out her kidneys. She has slowed down with age, but she sleeps a lot. Is there anything I can do to bring down the platelet count and BUN/creatinine ratio?
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: He did a complete lab work on her and everything else showed normal. She can be playful and "talkative" in the mornings and nights after our walks. She is my best friend and I love her very much.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Sophie's BUN:creatinine ratio might mean that she was dehydrated when the blood sample was obtained. But since the test is not precise, the ratios cannot be relied upon entirely to rule out other causes. I need to see the actual BUN and creatinine values to be more accurate for you and the results of a complete urinalysis are essential in these cases. Can you upload a copy of all of Sophie's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Even normal test results are helpful. I not only review the results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Thrombocytosis (elevated platelet count) is not uncommon. Causes include iron deficiency anemia (she's apparently not anemic, however), neoplasia (cancer), endocrine (hormonal) diseases, splenic contraction (which can occur in a dog stressed by having blood drawn), splenectomy, and immunosuppressive therapy (e.g., a steroid such as prednisolone). I would simply repeat the platelet count in a few weeks before additional diagnostics are performed.

Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish. For any questions concerning your financial obligation to the site please contact***@******.*** or http://www2.justanswer.com/help

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?