Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

The of my dogs eye is swollen. The early hours of this

Customer Question

Hello. The white of my dogs eye is swollen. The early hours of this morning I noticed that he had lumps under his fur that returned after I ruffled them which I googled and I found an answer on here that it is very possibly hives. The reply stated to give the dog benedryl, I had none but I had been told previously to give my other dog piriton for a skin condition, so I had piriton and gave him one of those. I gave him another one about two hours ago, and about an hour ago I noticed that the white of his eye is swollen. I have made up some salt water and gently cleaned his eye with salt water and a cotton pad but it didn't make any difference. He was pretty squirmy too so I didn't want to persist and aggravate his eye further. What should I do please?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. How old is benedryl?
Customer: Sorry, his name is ***** ***** is 5
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Zippy?
Customer: No he has had a clean bill of health up to now
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The swelling of the sclera - the white of the eye - is called chemosis and represents a hypersensitivity reaction as does those lumps - hives and wheals. Piriton (chlorphenamine) dosed at 2-8 mg/dog (miniature/small/large dog) every 8-12 hours may well suffice to control the reactions. In most cases, an ophthalmic product isn't necessary but an ophthalmic antihistamine such as ketotifen (Zaditor) should be available in your local druggist if need be. Severe reactions are best treated with a prescription glucocorticosteroid such as dexamethasone or prednisolone. Most reactions abate within 36 hours unaided. Hypersensitivity reactions can arise after vaccination, envenomation by flying insect or spider, food allergy, insecticides and other chemicals, and even environmental allergen exposure.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.