Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

CAN I GIVE MY 10 LB DOG PREDISONE FOR ITCHING. COOKIE, 3

Customer Question

CAN I GIVE MY 10 LB DOG PREDISONE FOR ITCHING.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: COOKIE, 3 YEARS OLD
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about cookie?
Customer: NO, SHE IS JUST ITCHING AND SCRATCHING SORES ON HER BACK. GOING CRAZY. I HAVE LOOKED FOR FLEAS AND SHE DOES NOT HAVE ANY. SHE IS TREATED.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 24 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about Cookie's itching.

What flea treatment are you using?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 24 days ago.

I am sorry you have not gotten help from an expert before now. I just came online and saw your question.

I would not use prednisone first; it has a lot of side effects and we use it only when absolutely necessary. Have you tried antihistamines? She could take 12.5 mg Benadryl 2 to 3 times daily or 2.5 mg Claritin once to twice daily. Be sure to get the plain antihistamine, nothing with pseudoephedrine in it.

It will help to know what flea product you are using, and what other questions you have.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Using advantage 2 already am using benedryl.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 24 days ago.

Keep using the Advantage every month.

There is a medication called Apoquel, that I use before prednisone these days. It really helps about 80% of itchy dogs, without the side effects of the prednisone. It is by prescription.

If you use prednisone, use as little as possible, and try to wean her off it as soon as possible. I would start a 10 pound dog on 2.5 mg twice daily for 2 to 3 days then go to once daily then every other day. If it were my own dog, I would not use the pred.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 20 days ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is Cookie doing? Can I answer anything else?