Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Someone is watching her for me and says she has had

Customer Question

Someone is watching her for me and says she has had diarrhea(been giving diatomacious earth for parasites) and rectum is prolapsed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rosie aprox age 14-15 wks she was rescued off of the reservation.
JA: How old is Rosie?
Customer: Aprox 14-15 weeks old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: The vet that treated her after rescue said she had a stomach virus that started with a C.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is around 5 pounds and looks to be a Chihuahua mix. Is there any way a prolapse can heal on its own? How about pushing it in?
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have they shared pictures with you of the prolapse? If so, can you please post them to the page so that I may see them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have any pics.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They said she is very happy and energetic still.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh yeah they also said she seems to be on the mend with less frequent trips outside to go potty.

Is the prolapse still evident?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure didn't think to ask. She did say she hoped to would right itself by morning. Any chance it could?

Unfortunately, prolapses are seldom fixed at home due to the inversion and swelling of tissue and I have yet to hear of one that has fixed itself. The longer its out the higher the risk of complications. The most ideal situation would be to have her examined, anesthetized and a purse string suture placed to keep the rectal tissue from prolapsing again. I would urge you to have them take her to the ER this evening for treatment.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800