Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate some medication of a guests. It includes

Customer Question

My dog ate some medication of a guests. It includes ferrofood, vitamin d, mintran, simplex f. 6 tablets of each
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sylvie age 12. She is currently taking 40 mg of prednisone a day
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sylvie?
Customer: She has immunemediatedthrombosytpedia ( autoimmune disorder)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Sylvie, please?

My primary concern would be the amount of vitamin D3 in those tablets. When ingested in excess of 1800 IU/lb of body weight, acute renal failure can ensue within 12-24 hours. Signs of intoxication include increased volume of urine, increased thirst, vomiting, diarrhea, and a painful ("splinting") of the abdomen.