Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She started almost vibrating and is lethargic and pees a

Customer Question

She started almost vibrating and is lethargic and pees a great amount
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maxi...6 years old bishop mix
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maxi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Maxi?
Customer: He...he was normal and healthy and really happy...occasionally he does this weird cough like he has something stuck in his throat but he has done that always.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 21 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does she urinate while vibrating?

How often are you seeing these episodes?

Do you have a video to share of the episodes?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He has been doing this shaking vibrating thing for just about two days...like he is scared of something. He just lays there...doesn't eat and shakes....then he drinks and pees a lot and just laus dowm

The trembling can be due to quite a few things including pain, fear, nausea, etc.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. With the high volume of water consumption, blood work would be useful in diagnosing a potential underlying issue.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing?