Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I think early in the morning one of the fingers on his front

Customer Question

hello, I think early in the morning one of the fingers on his front paw hit the door and now is swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 5 years old and weights 19 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Tiger?
Customer: He is healthy and no other problems
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so very sorry to hear about your little Tiger. Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and rule out a fracture in that swollen toe, likely start him on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the foot in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

Also please no licking as this can introduce oral bacteria to the area and aggravate the swelling further.

I would avoid over the counter pain medications as it will interfere with what your veterinarian may prescribe but I do worry with swelling and lameness this toe might have a fracture and should be x-rayed to rule out this diagnosis.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses, I am online another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Tiger to see if he is more comfortable or if I can assist with any additional questions?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!