Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a chow chow back home and he's been having issues

Customer Question

Hello! I have a chow chow back home and he's been having issues with walking around our house.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: My dog has been having difficulty walking ever since he was about 5 months old. He was fine before walking on our polished wood and marble floors but started slipping and sliding on the floors suddenly and now he can't even stand on the floors. We've been getting by through doggie boots and socks but they haven't been very helpful as they have caused yeast infection in his paws from sweating and constantly come off, also they don't fit his large paws very well as most seem to be for dogs with leaner legs. The most successful one that helps him grip would be PAWS rubber boots but because of the tight rubber top, it ripped into his leg and cause him a massive cut and infection that nearly lost him his paws. We don't know what to do now as he has completely no grip on our floors but walks fine when he's on the grass. Unfortunately due to the very hot weather in our country he can't go outside much as we fear he might get a heatstroke. Is there anything we can do about this as we are desperate to get him walking INSIDE the house to exercise as the vet said that he might have inherited a joint and back problem.
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he's currently 2 years old and weighs at 20 kg and can't walk! So you can imagine we carry him everywhere when he's inside the house almost!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** can see him try to walk on his instagram page if that helps - @chubichowchow any help is appreciated :)!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

To clarify, JACustomer, your companion only has issues walking on the slick surfaces inside of your home, is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
any other types of slick surfaces

There are a few things I would try here.

1) Consider using carpet runners in each room so that your dog can walk around unhindered on a carpeted surface.

2) Use a traction spray that will keep the feet from slipping. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Bio-groom-52308-BIOGRM-Show-Foot/dp/B000NEL3EK

3) Try toe grips: https://www.toegrips.com/faq/

These should help to improve traction on the floors and minimize the slipping and sliding you've been seeing.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for letting me know but unfortunately those options won't work for me as I've tried most of it.