Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

I have a 6 lb chihuahua mix that's 15 years old. She's

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 6 lb chihuahua mix that's 15 years old. She's current on all vaccinations.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the chihuahua?
Customer: My friend noticed a flea on her yesterday. I put Frontline on her 3 weeks ago.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the chihuahua's name?
Customer: Last night I filled the tub with water and added 1 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar. I applied dawn soap to her then then put her in the the tub. I washed her and rinsed. I placed her on the bed and put a comn in the viegar and brushed her hinquarter only 2 times, I didn't have a good gut feeling about it. I had watched this on you tube. She began shaking and I thought I was because she was cold
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the chihuahua?
Customer: we feel asleep and this morning she acted very lethargic and didn't want to stand but I got her to. I took her for a walk -brief- long story short.i smelt a strong odor of vinegar on her this afternoon so I gave her a bath to try and rinse it off. As I was blow drying her she acted like her front paw didn't want to work then she was fine a few minutes latger. 20 minutes later she began gturning her head to the right and had a jolting look to her as if she was beginning to have a seizure. I turned her head to the left and she hollered.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 18 days ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm a small animal veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. First of all you didn't harm her with the dawn or vinegar. Unfortunately by bathing her in Dawn you did rinse the frontline off so I would suggest reapplying that for the fleas. The situation with her neck sounds a lot like she may have a nerve injury like a pinched nerve or bulging/displaced disc between her vertebrae that could be rubbing on the spinal cord. This is common in small older dogs but can be very painful. Usually the veterinarian will do an x-ray or MRI to diagnose the problem. Some dogs need surgery but many can be treated with pain medications and rest. The recommended medications include prednisone, Tramadol, gabapentin and diazepam. Usually they are cage rested for 2 weeks and it is recommended to not use a collar but rather a harness to walk them from here on out. Some dogs can develop partial or complete paralysis from this where they are not able to use their back legs or sometimes all 4 legs, this is usually when surgery is needed. I would suggest she be seen as soon as you are able because she sounds like she may be in some pain.

Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 15 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Carole Cocagne