Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I took him to the vet because he was having trouble

Customer Question

I took him to the vet because he was having trouble breathing.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: They gave him 2 antiobiotic shots and antibiotics and a steriod to take home. But today he keeps dry heaving and i dont know what to do.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: HIs name is ***** ***** he's 11. He's a mini australian shephard and rat terrier mix.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Dash?
Customer: He has some tumors and one on the left shoulder
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 17 days ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet do any x-rays?

2- How long since he was started on the medications?

3- What is the name of the medications he is on?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He didn't get any x rays. I don't have much money and I just spent over $200 on his medicine.
He received to antibiotic shots and he is taking Prendnisone 5mg and Clindamycin 300mg, and amoxocillin 500mg
2 times a day
He started them on Saturday
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 17 days ago.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Did your vet comment in regards ***** ***** on physical examination?

3- Did he improve after starting the medications?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He started looking better and now he keeps dry heaving. he weighs 45lbs, he didn't comment on the physical
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 17 days ago.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- When you say dry heaving, he is hacking/gagging?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
he's a little lethargic
He's eating but he's hacking and gagging
HIs gums are pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for answeirng my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 17 days ago.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, when a dog is hacking/gagging this could be a sign of an airway disorder like a collapsing trachea, underlying heart disease, infections, etc. to name a few causes. I would recommend you phone the vet to discuss about what he/she found on physical examination and to make certain there was nothing abnormal noted as far as his heart. In addition, look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost for x-rays of his chest. For tonight, you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy, do not buy sugar-free. Continue on the meds as directed by the veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter