Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 55 pound 7 month old lab just ate some rid x.. not the

Customer Question

My 55 pound 7 month old lab just ate some rid x.. not the entire box just la good bit should I take her to the emergency vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gray
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Gray?
Customer: No very healthy just a curious pup
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that Gray ingested a fair amount of a package of Rid-X.

How is she behaving now?

Any vomiting or gagging?

Does she have a sensitive stomach in general?

How many ounces do you believe she ate?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has a pretty strong stomach she probably ate 1/4 cup or at least spilled that much and licked it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No vomiting yet
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

This product is not truly toxic, but it is a significant gastrointestinal irritant.

It has proteases and amylase (digestive enzymes) as well as a large number of bacteria.

I would flush her mouth out to remove any residual product.

I'll give you some further instructions to try to minimize gastrointestinal upset.

She's a big girl, so you may only see mild nausea or loss of appetite and slightly loose stools or you may see no effects with some supportive measures.

Give me a few minutes to type some things up.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

For now to help with gastrointestinal upset and reflux you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours (2 of the 10mg tabs every 12 hours for a 55 pound pup)

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel more comfortable. They are quite safe and should be used for several days.

I would offer a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger, all fats drained off the meat after cooking, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice, mashed potatoes or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow as well as increase her fluid intake.

Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can be added to the bland diet mix to help replace appropriate bacteria.

If things go well and she eats and seems more comfortable feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she begins to vomit, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a tense painful belly then she is not a candidate for home therapy and must see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****