How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 26868
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much is to much xylitol in a 74 lb German shepherd?

Customer Question

How much is to much xylitol in a 74 lb German shepherd?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Linda, hypoglycemia can occur at doses of greater than 75-100 mg/kg and hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity) can arise at greater than(###) ###-####mg/kg. She weighs 34 kg. I might be able to tell you the xylitol content in what Elsa ingested. Please let me know what it was.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She ingested melatonin with the first ingredient xylitol 3 mg the manufacturer is natrol
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We tried calling the 800 number they closed at 5:30
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. 3 mg of xylitol in the melatonin pill/capsule is a miniscule amount and of no significance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is acting normal has eaten her dinner no signs of vomiting. Eyes look normal guns normal
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

...and she's going to stay nicely normal. It looks like our messages crossed. I posted "Thank you. 3 mg of xylitol in the melatonin pill/capsule is a miniscule amount and of no significance."

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well that's the problem it was a 3 mg pill but I don't know how much eyentol was in pill.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's not an active ingredient so they don't have the amount
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

A 75 lb dog would need to ingest 2,550 mg of xylitol to become hypoglycemic. A pill containing 3 mg of melatonin won't contain 2,550 mg of xylitol.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But..... she ate the WHOLE bottle :(. I believe very close to 100 pills
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Oh! If she did so within a couple of hours, inducing emesis with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrgoen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek would be prudent. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose. Alternatively, bring her to a 24-hour facility who will induce emesis with an injection of apomorphine and then administer activated charcoal - the universal antidote.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is the story daughter and her dog , Elsa had a house fire. Elsa and Jessica have been nomads trying to find places to live while the house is being repaired. Elsa is glued to my daughter hut do yo all the commotion Elsa is not acting her normal self. Her world is upside down , my daughter understands the crazy way things are but Elda doesn't. Jessica's teaching elementary school on North Carolina and me , mom lives in New York.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Figured letting you understand the crazies might give you a better picture. This eating of the bottle probably happened around 2;00-3:00 this afternoon isn't that a little to late for vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

It is, yes. Now your job is to have Elsa's blood glucose and liver enzymes checked - preferably within 12 hours. Symptoms of toxicity can arise 30 minutes - 12 hours after ingestion. If Elsa is lucky even a 100 pills won't add up to enough xylitol to intoxicate her.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok ,been thinking ,if Elsa's tests come back high what happens next?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jessica and Elsa are on the way to the emergency vet.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

If her blood glucose is low, she'll be administered IV glucose and you'll be asked to feed her quite often throughout the day. If her liver enzymes are high, treatment might still be IV fluids containing glucose and electrolytes and hepatoprotective supplements such as samE and silymarin (milk thistle) will be prescribed.

Ah!. That's good to hear. Keep me posted, please.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Elsa. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin
Customer: replied 3 months ago.