Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 5-pound 14-year-old poodle has just conquered

Customer Question

My 5-pound 14-year-old poodle has just conquered transitional cell carcinoma, no cancer cells found now. She is constipated, straining to have BM, but only watery, gray matter. Occasionally, she passes a firm, single stool with the watery matter. Would it be safe to use a glycerin suppository to help move the solid, small segment of stool? I have thought of giving her Pepto-Bismol but don't know about this either. She seems to be in pain when she strains, and she looks very "full" and irritated in that area. I think there are glands in this area, and I don't know if this would cause further problem. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Sophie.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: Not that I can think of ... she has had loss of 2.5 lb. weight loss while taking the chemo over the last year or so.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 17 days ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 17 days ago.

Rather than a suppository, a better option would be a little bit of plain canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling). The pumpkin is high fiber so it should do the trick getting things moving in the right direction.

If she still hasn't defecated by tomorrow afternoon, then you should have the vet take a peek at her, just to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your help. We are very sad about losing our little baby girl. She was very old ... and we just wanted to hold on to her. Annette Biggers Smith
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 days ago.

OH no. I'm so sorry to hear your about your loss.