Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog is 6 months old hes a big dog he's puking out stuff

Customer Question

our dog is 6 months old hes a big dog he's puking out green stuff since yesterday don't know wrongs with him he only eats dog food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no just dog food we got him 3 weeks ago he was okay now he doesn't want to eat
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: I'm trying to get a hold of my daughter I don't know the name
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: we don't have a vet out here
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any diarrhea?

3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
he never ate anything different than dog food he looks sick the girls bathed him today and hes shaking and puking out green stuff I really don't know how he weighs but hes a big dog hes one of those bullmasive dogs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

1- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

2- Any abdominal swelling?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
he was already sick yesterday he puked up the green stuff and the color is pink and he puked 3 times already since I'm talking to you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

I am sorry your dog is vomiting. In response to your question, the green color vomit is bile, if you are now seeing pink this could be blood. The big question is: Why is he vomiting? Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, if he is vomiting so much I would strongly recommend seeking for a veterinarian for a hands-on examination and some testing to try to determine the exact underlying cause. In addition, he may need supportive care of IV fluids, anti-emetics, etc. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with a veterinarian for a hands on examination and supportive care as soon as you can.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
his gums are pink not the puke
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for the clarification. I still continue with the same recommendations above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.