Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My small dog, a dachshund chihuahua mix has the following

Customer Question

My small dog, a dachshund chihuahua mix has the following symptoms- no appetite, not drinking much water, hiding in small spaces, not wanting to go outside ( she just peed and pooped for the first time in a couple days a while ago when I picked her up and took her outside, and she is shivering though it is not cold in the house. Are these symptomatic of anything in particular?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Yes, also she is 7 years old (about)
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about also she?
Customer: I don't think so - she is a rescue dog, but we've had her for a couple of years
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Is she avoiding stairs or avoiding jumping up and down from furniture?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, she has had a litter of pups before we adopted her, didn't get her spayed because she only goes outside on a leash or in our fully enclosed backyard
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All her vaccines are up to date, she has a regular vet, but he is a while away, and didn't want to take her in for an emergency appointment if it's not an emergency- his office is closing soon

So sorry for the delay!

When was her last heat cycle? Are you able to take a rectal temperature?

Are you there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am here - I was on another call, I have only seen what I believed to be part of a heat once, she had some (very little) bleeding, and another time she seemed to behave a bit like she may be in heat, but It wasn't majorly obvious, so I don't know. This all occurred between 6 - 12 months ago.

Okay, great. I suspect that what we are dealing with here is back pain, as these are the normal symptoms of back pain and it is very common in dachshunds. How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We just weighed her- she weighs 13.6 lbs

Okay. Do you have access to the human drug Tramadol? Or possibly baby aspirin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has been treated for fleas the last couple with otc topical flea med, she has a flea allergy and chewed off some of her fur,but the fleas seem to be gone, I use a flea comb on her regularly and never find any. We have an indoor/outdoor cat who has also been treated regularly with flea meds
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I forgot to answer the other question about taking a rectal temperature, I only have a digital (mouth) thermometer and don't know if that would work.

Yes, any thermometer will work. Do you have access to Tramadol or baby aspirin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, I missed your response- I have access to baby aspirin
OK. Give one baby aspirin every eight hours for the next 24 hours and see if that helps with the symptoms. I would restrict activity as much as possible since I suspect back pain is the problem.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.