Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Any tips to get rid of fleas in my home? A friend brought

Customer Question

Any tips to get rid of fleas in my home? A friend brought her dog over and it had fleas. I have tried everything. I've tried diotimestic earth and baking soda, flea killing spray, I scrubbed borax it into my carpets, we fogged three different times we even put our couches and mattresses up and opened all cabinets when we fogged, we tried gowth regulator spray and sprayed the yard with chemicals three times. I have had my dogs at our repair shop since Friday cause I don't want any more fleas on them till they are treated with the frontline plus. I Vaccum every day even the base boards. I've been at it for 4 weeks now. Please, Please , Please help me....
Frontline is coming in the mail.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 24 days ago.

You've done lots of things right, (vacuuming frequently, taking the dogs out of the infested environment) but you need to do them at the same time and I do have some further suggestions.

Give me several moments.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 24 days ago.

First realize that only 5% of the flea population live on your dogs, the rest is in the environment. If you are seeing lots of fleas on them imagine how many more are in your home in the egg and larval stages.

You need to vacuum your home throughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where they like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum daily and throw away the bag.

You also need to use effective products on your dogs. I recommend either Frontline Plus or Advantage ll or the new Seresto Flea collar. I don't normally recommend flea collars, but this one really works and lasts for at least 6-8 months. All pets in the house must be treated as if you don't the ones animals that aren't treated serve as a flea reservoir for the others and you'll never solve your problem. Do not bother with over the counter products, they are neither effective nor safe in many instances. Flea preventative topicals should be applied every 3 weeks if you have a young, healthy animals in a problem situation as the effectiveness does wane a little after 3 weeks.

I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M

The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike. They truly are a waste of time and money.

Your other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home and outdoors. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products they use don't contain organophosphates and do have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.

The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.

When there is a heavy infestation expect things to get worse before they get better as all of the old, untreated eggs and larvae hatch out.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 22 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not I would appreciate an update on your pups and their fleas, thank you, ***** *****