Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My 10-year old female Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise mix was

Customer Question

My 10-year old female Shih Tzu/Bichon Frise mix was diagnosed a few weeks ago with Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca (KCS). My veterinarian prescribed Optimmune, and my pet's eyes responded well to the treatment. However, I am a 66 year old man living alone, and my pet struggles violently when I administer treatment. Her sister has been on compounded Cyclosporine 1.0 % ophthalmic solution for over 3 years for KCS, and is doing very well. I have 2 questions: (1) Is there a compounded Cyclosporine dosage equivalent (e.g., 0.2%, 1.0 %, etc.) for Optimmune? (2) Is there any medical reason or matter of law why my pet could not be switched from Optimmune to compounded Cyclosporine after responding favorably to Optimmune?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 19 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. There is no legal reason why you cannot switch Frisky over to the compounded version. How it is compounded may make a mild difference in response. The only way to know is to do a trial with the compounded medication in the same concentration as the opt immune. Many dogs do well with the compounded generic. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for several days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Going back to my 1st question, Optimmune is 0.2% in units "w/w" while compounded Cyclosporine is in units "w/v." So, what is the % compounded Cyclosporine equivalent to Optimmune? Regarding my 2nd question, there is a federal statute, 21 CFR 530.13, that basically states that if there is an FDA-approved drug that works, you can't switch to a compounded version. So, if my veterinarian has already demonstrated that Optimmune works, does this law prevent us from switching from Optimmune to a compounded Cyclosporine? The law is quoted below:21 CFR 530§530.13 Extralabel use from compounding of approved new animal and approved human drugs.(a) This part applies to compounding of a product from approved animal or human drugs by a veterinarian or a pharmacist on the order of a veterinarian within the practice of veterinary medicine…(b) Extralabel use from compounding of approved new animal or human drugs is permitted if:

(2) There is no approved new animal or approved new human drug that, when used as labeled or in conformity with criteria established in this part, will, in the available dosage form and concentration, appropriately treat the condition diagnosed.