Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

Are you a vet? Ok! I have a question, Dog 4 year old, Lab,

Customer Question

Hi! Are you a vet?
JA: No. I'm the veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: Ok! I have a question
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog 4 year old, Lab
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Lately she has been having trouble jumping onto my bed, into my car, has been slipping a lot on wood floors, and takes a little longer to get up when she's laying down. I've started her on a glucosamine chondriton supplement, so maybe that has something to do with it? She's so young... She still wants to play ball and go on walks and does great.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jackie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Jackie?
Customer: Not really! We haven't had any health issues before. She is a service dog so is exposed to a lot, but is up to date on all her vaccines
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 21 days ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Jackie. It sounds like she may be having some trouble with her hips, which is common in labs.

Starting a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement is a great first step. Is she at a healthy weight?

The best course of action would be to get her into your veterinarian for some x rays of the hips.

In addition to the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, I would recommend maintaining a healthy weight and adding in a fish oil supplement, which is great for joints!

Dr. Snow