Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an 8 year old lab who has lost about 14 pounds in the

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old lab who has lost about 14 pounds in the last week, can't stop eating or drinking, no diarrhea or vomiting though
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sawyer I went to the er vet and diagnostics were going to cost about $1000 so I am taking him to his regular vet tomorrow, but right now he is skin and bones
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Sawyer I?
Customer: He is having excessive eye drainage, clear but more than normal, no other odd symptoms
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sawyer. There are very few disorders that cause such weight loss in spite of polyphagia (increased hunger) and polydipsia (increased thirst). Diabetes mellitus is most likely. Hyperthyroidism is an important differential diagnosis but not seen as often as diabetes. See if you can fast Sawyer for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate test results. Never restrict water, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is diabetes mellitus manageable and affordable long term

Dogs are insulin dependent. You'll need to accept the need to give Sawyer insulin injections twice daily lifelong. There's quite a bit of testing needed to find the correct dose of insulin. I tell caretakers to plan on spending a minimum of $1000 during the initial year post-diagnosis. Please continue our conversation if you wish.