Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 4 month old australian shepher just had diarrhea for a

Customer Question

My 4 month old australian shepher just had diarrhea for a few days, thinking it was due to a new bone I had bought for him, I was feeding him chicken and rice to calm his belly, but now it seems that he will not poop, I don't know what to do
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: His diarrhea lasted from Saturday morning until this morning, he has not had a bowel movement since around 5:30am it's now 9:20pm but is urinating normally
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Is he straining to defecate without production or simply not trying at this point since this morning?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is just not trying to go, he is sniffing around like he ususually would to defecate, but will not go

After a bout of diarrhea, it is very normal for a puppy or dog to not defecate for 24-48 hours as they have been hyper motile for a period of time and the body is going to slow down and metabolize the food so this needs to play "catch up" with the digestive tract

If he is not straining this is actually a good sign, I suspect sometime tomorrow he will have a bowel movement. Now that he is 4 months old I would try two to three times daily leash walks for 15 + minutes to help encourage gi motility in this situation but it is very normal to not have a bowel movement in 12 hours after resolution of diarrhea

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thank you, ***** ***** it

You are very welcome, can I assist with any additional questions this evening?

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!