Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 13 yr old Westie has been coughing a lot at night,but

Customer Question

my 13 yr old Westie has been coughing a lot at night,but otherwise he seems normal
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 19 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has the coughing been going on for? Is your Westie coughing anything up?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
about a month or it is productive & sounds very dry

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has the coughing worsened during that month? Does he seem to do it when he is excited? A couple of things I would be concerned about in a coughing Westie. One thing would be a collapsing trachea, This is where the windpipe gets weakened and collapses on itself. This can happen in a lot of older dogs. Another issue I would be worried about is a possible heart condition. Heart disease can cause coughing due to an enlargement of the heart or if fluid starts to build up in the lungs

These conditions can be ruled out with a physical exam, also chest x-rays may be needed as well

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
this deal smells of a come on refund my money pls or if you prefer I can call my credit card co.

I am not sure what you mean by that but I will direct you to customer service so you can get a refund regardless