PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 4.5 year old lab mix hs very stiff back muscles. I try

Customer Question

My 4.5 year old lab mix hs very stiff back muscles. I try massaging them and if I put too much pressure she'll growl
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Sasha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Sasha?
Customer: No she's never had any medical problems before.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Sasha on any meds at this time?
2) How is she acting to indicate stiff muscles?
3) Any history of illness or injury?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) no just aspirin for dogs given tonight
2 I can feel the stiffness through petting her
3 no history of injury
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has two knots on her lower back. I asked the vet what it was months ago maybe a year ago and she said it was just her muscles

How much does she weigh and how much aspirin was given in milligrams?

Is she having any issues with walking? Is she standing hunched over?

Has your vet taken any x-rays to determine the cause?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She weighs 60 pounds 30 milligrams were given. No issues with walking but she has slight issues walking on soft services like a bed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No x Rays were taken

At 60#, she needs a higher dosage. 300mg up to twice daily is safe for a dog her size.

Since this has been a chronic issue for her, I would push your vet to take some x-rays to determine the cause. Some veterinary acupuncture or massage might be a good idea in the future if her muscles remain tense like this with no cause. Her growling indicates pain, so it would be ideal to have your vet prescribe her canine-safe NSAIDs and pain medication instead of relying on aspirin alone (doesn't work very well for dogs who are in a great deal of discomfort and is not ideal to be used long term). I am concerned that she may have a spinal issue that is causing these muscles to become painful and more diagnostics are certainly indicated to understand precisely what is causing the abnormality and what can be done to alleviate her symptoms.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. I did not hear back from you. How is your companion doing? Can I help you any further?