How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4997
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 30 lb 7 month old puppy ate some Tomcat rat poison, what

Customer Question

My 30 lb 7 month old puppy ate some Tomcat rat poison, what should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No,he's a healthy puppy
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 24 days ago.

I'm Dr. Tamie. I'm sorry your dog at the rat poison. The first thing you need to do right away is get him to throw it up. You can do that at home by giving him hydrogen peroxide. He can have 20 to 30 mls of it. You will need to get him to swallow it with a syringe or something similar. (More to follow, but start getting him to throw up).

Expert:  Tamra Hunt replied 24 days ago.

Secondly, find the box/wrapper and information from the poison and take it and your dog with you to the vet. He will also need some special activated charcoal ( not the charcoal from a grill) given by the vet to absorb the poison into his stool, so he won't absorb it into the blood stream. The vet will need to know how much he ate and will need the packaging to know the active ingredient. Have you been able to get him to swallow some hydrogen peroxide?