Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is constantly walking, panting, won't eat. Has been going

Customer Question

He is constantly walking, panting, won't eat. Has been going on for overb12 hrs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Pomeranian
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: 12yrs old
JA: What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Kubby. Has been in great health. Recently went blind
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Kubby?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
None of the symptoms you have asked does he have. No to have eaten something he should not have. Gums are pink. He pants a lot and cannot seem to stop walking around. Of course being blind, he is constantly running into things. Before he would walk slower. He did act like he had small seizure a couple of months ago. Paddling and off balance for a while
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

How long ago was the possible seizure?

Is he circling in one direction or tilting his head one way?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was about 3 months ago. He. Is walking in one direction a circle some yesterday. Now he is just wagering all over the house, sort of following the outer parameters. He does seem to be listening for me and will come by me for a min maybe, then he is off again. He will stop and start a little whine then start barking. Doesn't want food only take a couple licks of water doesn't do anything outside because he hasn't eaten anything
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that Kubby isn't likely to have eaten anything harmful. As well, those pink gums suggest he is getting enough oxygen even if panting. Therefore, that panting like his walking is a sign of stress and possible discomfort. Though while gut issues (ie infections, pancreatitis, etc) would be a concern for his appetite loss I am more suspicious that it too related to stress. Where I am concerned our main issue is actually Kubby's brain. Circling, possible seizures disorientation, and all of these signs can be features of brain based infections, masses, bleeds, inflammation or secondary to high blood pressure or toxicity (that one being again less likely here).

Therefore, while we could try GI supportive care (ie an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc]) and a light diet (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only)), I do feel that we will need to have him seen. We'd want the local vet to do a full neurological examination, rule out GI issues to be sure, and if the brain based issues are confirmed then we'd likely need them to start anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics to tackle this and help get him settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )