Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is panting heavily from metacam. Is this normal? She

Customer Question

My dog is panting heavily from metacam. Is this normal? She has been on it before but gave her a dose tonight due to a sprain. She has allergies and normally breathes heavily but the panting is new. I feel like it's an adverse effect due to her allergy and fighting the drug.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just need a second opinion because a had a dog killed recently in a tragic accident. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow but if I need to be more urgent on this situation please advise.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does she seem to have any belly pain, appetite loss, or black feces?

How long after you give the Metacam doe you see panting?

Is she on anything for her allergies?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count your dog’s breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?