Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a multipoo and she has just about quit drinking

Customer Question

I have a multipoo and she has just about quit drinking water
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She seems ok with everything else she is eating her food and plays the only thing is that wheh we go for a walk she stops every few seconds to pee and it takes at least 30 second for her to stop
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no but will check what would that haved to do with it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Winnie age 2 and 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Winnie?
Customer: she is constantly licking her self
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 27 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

When I have a dog doing a lot of licking of the vulva the concerns are going to be:
- Vulvitis/ vaginitis or inflammation/ infection of the vulva which can be due to vulvar fold pyoderma (an inverted vulva) or leaking urine. Here is more information on this condition: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/vaginitis-in-dogs
- Another urinary tract infection, especially with the straining to urinate for an extended period of time
- Crystals in the urine which can be related to a urinary tract infection or completely separate. The best way to describe this sensation for her is that it is like having insulation that irritates the skin on the hair of the vulva! It is quite uncomfortable, like shards of glass on the area that is very uncomfortable. I have dogs that scoot on the ground while others will do quite a bit of licking.

My first inclination is to do a urinalysis on her to rule out crystals or an infection. First morning sample, fresh or refrigerated but also want it read as soon as possible because a sample sitting for a while that is very alkaline can falsely create crystal formation. Second, doing a vaginal or vulvar swab for bacteria, white cells, or abnormal epithelial cells would be my next step followed by abdominal x-rays to rule out stones in the bladder as well.

I would try increasing her water intake for now, especially since she is inclined not to drink which can exacerbate her symptoms. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or salt free broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am online another 30 minutes if there are any other questions or concerns this evening

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 26 days ago.

Good evening, I hope you were able to get Winnie in to your vet today and would love an update when you are able?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 23 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman