Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My puppy of 4 months old started limping this morning. She's

Customer Question

My puppy of 4 months old started limping this morning. She's applying pressure and walking and running on it. But I can tell she's limping. I looked at her nails, in between her toes, flexed her entire right hind side. She didn't holler out in pain or flinch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I did, there's no cut or abrasions
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nautica
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Nautica?
Customer: She's a bully pit and we exercise everyday. I pull her and my Blue Pit out of the kennel everyday to walk and stretch their muscles. Last night around 6:00 to 8:00pm. She had no lumps, now this morning. She's limping
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the lameness in front or back leg?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Back leg(right)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No other symptoms, no swelling or apparent pain when I press or touch leg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry that your puppy is lame. In response to your question, there are many different types of medical condition that would cause Nautica to limp. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, disorders affecting the joints, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that you are able to manipulate the limb without any pain response I would place a soft tissue injury high on the list of possible causes. A very common soft tissue injury in dogs is to the cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). I would recommend you rest, no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash. Do Not give over the counter pain meds, most are toxic to dogs. If by tomorrow she is still lame I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for an orthopedic examination and prescription pain/anti-inflammatory medication. If she does improve, continue to rest her for the next 3-4 weeks.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you very much. I'm going to take her to my vet in the morning. I pray it's just a muscle and nothing else. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

Fantastic, rest her in between now and then; she will be fine.

You're welcome. :)