Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield
95952882

What to do when our yorkies continue to scratch and we have

Customer Question

what to do when our yorkies continue to scratch and we have tried lots of things including allergy shots
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angel
JA: How old is Angel?
Customer: 7 and Big Al is 5
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?
Customer: no we keep their shots up and take them if necessary to vet
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 27 days ago.

Hello I am Dr. Pulter. I will type up a reply for you please give me a minute.

There are three major causes of itch in dogs. Fleas, food and the environment. What adds to this itch is infection (bacterial or fungal). The first thing you need to do is talk with your veterinarian about strict flea control on all the animals in the house. Even cats as they may be the ones harboring fleas. Then if your veterinarian, based on their exam, feels that your pet needs a diet trial they will prescribe a diet. The trial will last 6-12 weeks depending on the pup. Treatment of itch can include a variety of medications from steroids to antibiotics, but if the underlying cause, as stated before, is not controlled then the itchiness will continue. Sometimes pets need to be on treatment continuously to help control their itch. there are safe medications to use long term if needed. Another option is to seek out a veterinary dermatologist to work with you on the causes of your yorkies itch. I hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 25 days ago.
Hi Jean,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Chelsea Pulter