Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My brother's Pomeranian mix dog has had blood in stool X 3

Customer Question

Hi my brother's Pomeranian mix dog has had blood in stool X 3 days.....nothing since yesterday. She has not consumed anything out of the ordinary......not sure what to do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Pepper.....his concern is that he can not afford care
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Pepper. In general, the presence of a small amount of blood denotes an irritated colon and nothing more serious than this. Internal parasites, dietary indiscretion, Inflammatory Bowel disease are just a few of the possible underlying causes.

If there's a profuse amount of blood, then that's a different story and could potentially be quite serious.

If Pepper's stools are loose, then a bland diet of boiled, boneless, skinless chicken breast and 20-minute white rice is often enough to return the stools to normal.

I also recommend a probiotic such as Forti Flora which is often available at local pet/grain stores or online.

I'll sometimes suggest Pepto Bismol as long as the patient isn't vomiting nor currently taking steroids or nsaid medication at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight twice a day.

It might be prudent for your brother to have a stool sample checked if one hasn't been done recently but I would reassure him that the presence of a little blood in and of itself shouldn't be alarming.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb