Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 pound chihuahua-terrier mix ate some rolors. I just

Customer Question

My 10 pound chihuahua-terrier mix ate some rolors. I just got back from the gym, duo In not sure how many she had. The bag wasn't even half-full when I left, though. I found some wrappers on the floor, but no pieces of the candy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: *Rolos
JA: How old is *Rolos?
Customer: Sorry I meant that she ate Rolos. Her name is ***** ***** she is 2.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Harley?
Customer: No, I don't think so. She isn't acting strangely or anything. She just laying on my lap, breathing normally. Her heartbeat doesn't feel off or anything, and her behavior isn't odd.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Should I induce vomiting by giving her a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (the 3% kind)?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an idea how many ounces or Rolos did she eat?

2- The Rolos she has are made with milk chocolate, correct?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
They are milk chocolate. I'm not sure exactly how much she ate but I know there was less than 4 ounces of rolos in the bag before I left (including caramel fooling and everything). There are still some left in the bag, so I believe she ate less than 2 ounces, at most. She is still breathing alright and acting normally.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

She ate wrapping paper as well, correct?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Friend, it is not likely for 2 ounces of milk chocolate (rolos) to be life-threatening to a 10 lbs dog. But, it can cause gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. The other concern is the actual wrappers that could become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract. However, it is very likely she will be able to pass them in the feces. To be on the safe side I would try to induce vomiting with peroxide, this is what you can do:

1- To make her vomit give her 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life-threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 18 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter