Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 7 year old yellow lab has a large "mole" next to her nose

Customer Question

My 7 year old yellow lab has a large "mole" next to her nose and now she has a hot spot on her hind leg. Trying to figure out if she needs to be seen by a vet for anything serious.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: her feet are fine
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shyanne
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Shyanne?
Customer: the mole is very tender and she doesn't like anyone to touch it
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 24 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you take a picture of the mole and post it for me to view it? Can you do the same for the hot spot?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Here are three pictures for you to view.
Thanks,
Carey Regert
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 24 days ago.

I'll check them out.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 24 days ago.

Good job on the pictures. That pigmented area on the left side of his nose region is pretty big. Do you feel it is growing? Has it been that size for quite some time? I'll be honest and say that its size and pigmentation have me concerned for a melanoma. What would be the best for her is to have her seen and they can evaluate it up close. It may be something that needs biopsied to determine the specific origin of it. The hot spot area isn't looking too bad at this time, but with that dense fur, it most likely will really fire up soon. With hot spots, I like to shave the hair all off the region affected so it can be aired out and allowed to dry. A course of oral antibiotics in combination with that can really get on top of things quickly and not let them get bigger and bigger

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No, unfortunately, it has been growing.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 24 days ago.

If it is growing, then getting it biopsied will be the best thing most likely.