Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 60 lb lab mix who cut his paws while running on

Customer Question

I have a 60 lb lab mix who cut his paws while running on gravel. He is obviously in pain, moving slow and not playing play, etc. He has been licking paws frequently. His paws are quite swollen and pink. Is it ok to give him ibuprofen? Thanks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 6 yr old lab mix dog
JA: OK. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No blood, more like skinned in multiple places
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kenny
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Kenny?
Customer: Has had an allergic reaction when mixed tramadol and NSAID. Active dog who has had previously injured his back
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Kenny. Thank you for asking if it is "Ok" to do something rather than doing it and then asking if it was. I've had that at my ER too many times to shake a stick at. It isn't "Ok" to give him ibuprofen. That can have some very bad effects on the stomach as far as upset and ulcers. It can also cause renal problems. It is an NSAID so if he had a reaction to tramadol and a previous NSAID, it would make this even more of a concern. The best thing that can be done for him is to get him seen by your vet / an ER clinic. The paws are most likely swollen and pink as there is an infection going on due to the cut and his continued licking of the area. A course of antibiotics and an E-collar (the lampshade collar) would be best to get this situation resolved. The sooner it can be treated with these, the better. Does this make sense? Please let me know.