Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

He is losing his hair and has bumps all over him. I have

Customer Question

He is losing his hair and has bumps all over him. I have tried washing him in peroxide and a borax mixture but it dont help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gunner. I think he is 4 months old. My neigbor found him wandering in the street and thought i might want him because i have 4 other dogs but none of my other dogs are having this issue
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Gunner?
Customer: Just that he is a stray found in the street and i gave him his shots
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 22 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your fellow Gunner has hairloss and bumps all over him. I understand that your other dogs aren't showing any symptoms.

In a young dog with this sort of description, especially if the pup isn't very especially itchy, I would be highly suspicious of demodectic mange. Demodex lesions are most commonly seen on the face and legs. These are pictures of dogs with demodex mites showing a few lesions on the face and on the side of the body:

http://www.askavetquestion.com/images/demodex.jpg

http://www.boxerforums.com/attachments/health-concerns/13697d1272599874-demodex-mites-cimg2895.jpg

In some cases the mites cause symptoms all over the body. This is called generalized demodicosis. Those cases are much more severe and difficult to clear up. See these links for pictures of dogs with generalized demodex:

http://i.imgur.com/Zgsuw.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzrSwiNRXPoVUV1Yg98DvLYS-z7IM1kLdbB8oT133eVwSrCgnw0g

Demodex mites are present in the hair follicles of all dogs. In some young dogs with immature immune systems or older dogs with immune system suppression from other disease processes the mites get overpopulated leading to hair loss and erythematous skin. In cases where there are secondary bacterial skin infections the dog may be itchy but in most cases they are not.

Your veterinarian can diagnose the demodex mite with a skin scraping or skin biopsy.

Treatment is usually not done if the infection is limited to one spot. We usually simply let the dog's immune system mature and get the mites under control. But in your fellow's case with multiple lesions then treatment is daily ivermectin therapy for a couple weeks past two negative skin scrapings. Once treatment is started we need to be careful not to stop too soon or the mites will be harder to get rid of.

Other possible causes for sparse hair, bumps, and red skin are sarcoptic mange, although those dogs are extremely itchy, a deep bacterial infection, or a fungal infection (ringworm).

Ideally your pup should see his veterinarian for a skin scraping and possibly a fungal culture. A diagnosis will give us an idea of how he needs to be treated.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 20 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****