Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My male catahoula keeps living his leg outside repeatedly

Customer Question

My male catahoula keeps living his leg outside repeatedly but nothing coming out. It's obvious he wants to urinate but can't.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, it appears he is trying to unitary but can't
JA: The veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ryder, age 3 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ryder?
Customer: No
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 25 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Could he have a bladder infection
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
How long do I need to wait for an answer
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 25 days ago.

There are many reasons for dogs to strain to pass urine.
We often think of infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the urinary tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. If he is an un-neutered male then prostatic cysts or abscess are possible causes as well.

If he is able to pass any urine then this may be an infection and he may have so much inflammation that any urine produced stimulates the need to go.

But if he is not passing any urine then he his urethra may actually be obstructed.

If inflammation is present or crystals form it can easily become blocked.
When that happens and the pup repeatedly strains to pass urine urine and is unable the urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced eventually causing the pup to vomit and become quite lethargic.
If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias.
He needs immediate veterinary care with what you have told me. This cannot be treated at home and can be life threatening.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 23 days ago.
Hi Timi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****