Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog ate geranium leaves today. She threw up the food I

Customer Question

My dog ate geranium leaves today. She threw up the food I gave her and now she won't eat anything. She appears to be depressed and just staying in her bed and sleeping. This is not usual behavior for her. She is in her bed and I am at the computer next to her. I actually heard he stomach make some noises. Do I need to take her to the emergency clinic?
JA: The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that.
Customer: ??? Don't understand
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: So, do I need to take her to the emergency vet?
JA: Have there been any changes in appearance or diet?
Customer: She does not want to eat anything and she is just staying in her bed.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: No don't think so
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am so sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion doing at this current time? Any changes?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
no changes Still sleeping

As you may well know, geranium is toxic to dogs so I would recommend a trip to the ER to have her symptoms addressed. More info here: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/geranium

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 19 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. I did not hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing?