Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

10 month old puppy had surgery to set broken bone in front

Customer Question

10 month old puppy had surgery to set broken bone in front legs. Did fine until we took the cone off neck 10 days later. Acts agitated and depressed. Will be asleep and then jump up like something bit him. Giving him pain pills
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am so sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. How is your companion doing at this current time? Any changes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He seems somewhat better - not quite as jumpy, but still not same personality before we took the cone off.

Does he return to the same personality if you replace the cone?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is more like himself this morning so elected not to replace the cone. He is not bothering where the incisions were made on his legs. Stitches were taken out on Thursday.

The jumping and agitated action may be due to phantom pains that come along with a surgery of this kind and with injury, as well. He may have felt some comfort or separation from these pains with the collar on but without the collar is realizing that nothing is touching him or in any manner causing stimulation which may be frightening.

Because the sutures are out and he can go back to almost regular activity, try rubbing/massaging the limb a few times a day with mild vigor and encouraging him to exercise with low impact options like walking, playing with toys on the floor, etc. Getting back to regular activity may assist him in overcoming the sensations that accompany healing. If this persists, you may want to talk to your vet about cold laser therapy for him.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800