Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She is a 16 black lab and seems to be loose control of her

Customer Question

She is a 16 black lab and seems to be loose control of her bladder sometimes. She doesn't squat to ho the bathroom anymore and her back legs give out on her. She has good days and bad days. I give her baby aspirin and glucosomine but I don't think it is helping her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing wrong with her pads
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Saquoiya
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Saquoiya?
Customer: I cont think of anything
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 26 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

This unfortunately can be quite common in senior spayed dogs

First, even though she is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking, I had a case similar to Sauoiya just a few weeks ago who had a significant infection but no other symptoms besides the leaking

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem

1.) Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

2.) Estrogen which is compounded and given 2-3 times weekly longterm. The primary side effect can be bone marrow suppression so it is advised to check a cbc prior to starting this medication and about one month in to ensure it has not effected the bone marrow production of red and white cells

Both are very effective and every veterinarian has a preference. I prefer proin but personally my dog got loose stool on it so she is on an estrogen supplement. Both of these are shown to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed female dogs do not urinate

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control her urination issues

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 23 days ago.
Hi Samantha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman