jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I just got a lab puppy he is about 9 weeks old do they

Customer Question

I just got a lab puppy he is about 9 weeks old do they always have a weird walk in the back. I heard it is because there back legs grow quicker it kinda looks like stiff legs.and what is your opinion on pet insurance. 80 dollars a month seems alot when that would all most cover a years worth of vet app.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 24 days ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. I've been breeding for over 20+ years as well. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Does the dog run with more of a hop then a regular run?

Does his back end sway when he walks?

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 18 days ago.

Hi again,

I was hoping to get a response back from my request for more information from you before answer, but I want you to have an answer.

A stiff legged walk or swaying walk at this age could indicate early hip dysplasia. You will often see a bunny hop type movement when they are running as well. Labs are prone to hip dysplasia as well. I would have a thorough exam done by your vet and have him check for hip issues. Since he is young, it may take time before it can be ruled out completely. Some things that can help if he does seem to be more prone to hip dysplasia is to be sure he gets regular exercise and isn't crated all the time and only let out for brief periods of exercise. Be sure he is fed a good quality puppy food designed for large breeds. It has the proper ratios to help prevent hip dysplasia.

As for pet insurance, some policies are worth the cost and some are not. Many just cover well visits such as vaccinations, parasite checks and heartworm preventative. Others cover illness, accident without genetic issues covered while others cover hereditary issues. Other policies cover both and hereditary problems. If it covers all visits with a low or no deductible, then it might be a good policy. This is why it is a good idea to compare various policies and don't just sign up with the first plan offered. The following site gives you the top 10 rated insurances.

http://www.top10petinsurancereviews.com/?kw=top%2010%20pet%20insurance&c=143912461903&t=search&p=&m=p&adpos=1t3&dev=c&devmod=&mobval=0&network=g&campaignid=398886857&adgroupid=24303182417&targetid=kwd-12657787989&interest=&physical=9009952&feedid=&utm_source=google&a=530&ts=&topic=&gclid=CjwKEAiA6rrBBRDsrLGM4uTPkWASJADnWZQ4q0FwTWmqWVgB0wFjwJLbHC1bzePyupUgTt6vHdqRiBoCxUjw_wcB

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 11 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.