Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog, a boxer mix, is squinting. His eyes seem red but so

Customer Question

My dog, a boxer mix, is squinting. His eyes seem red but so do those of my husky, but he isn't squinting. We do go walking on a trail but I'm wondering if I should try rinsing their eyes. If so, what should I use?
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No.
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: The boxer does have a cut on his paw that I just noticed. We have been treating him for excessive licking on his legs recently.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 26 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear your Boxer is squinting the eye which is an indicator of pain. I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close due to pain. Especially being a Boxer mix which is higher risk for having "non healing" or indolent ulcers of the eye that require more intense care

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 25 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your dog's eye today? I would love an update when you are able.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!