Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dogs has the hyperkeratosis only on one paw. She had

Customer Question

my dogs has the hyperkeratosis only on one paw. She had injured that leg and she is about 8 years old and this has just started to occur on her one pad
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I don't see anything physically and she doesn't seem to be sore when i rub or touch it. We live in the country so she isn't on pavement much either
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: No not at all. She actually has been more active lately chasing grasshoppers outside and thats when she hurt her leg on the uneven ground in our backyard
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: no she is an almost 8 year old beagle that has regular yearly check ups. she is a bit over weight but has been slimming down with more exercise since we moved out here earlier this year
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. You did very good on the detail for her situation. Any chance you can take a picture of the paw pad and post it for me to view what you're seeing?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am on my computer, will it let me upload a file?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

It should. The paper clip icon will allow that.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Let me go take a picture
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

Sounds good!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
ok I added the file
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

Very good job on the photo!!!! That paw is the paw that was injured again correct? Is she walking / bearing weight on it very much? Did all this start in the time frame after that injury? How long ago was the injury?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
she hurt her leg and was limping on it and yes she is weight bearing but she limps due to the paw it seems now rather than the injury before. I would say it has all happened in the last few weeks
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

Ok. More than likely that hyperkeratosis is due to her just not walking as regularly / bearing as much weight on that carpal pad. If she's not walking on it / having friction / abrasion on it, the keratin that is naturally building up isn't being worn down as well. If this is just on that one paw that had the injury, I wouldn't feel overly concerned with this. The hope would be there that as the injury continues to heal that she'll walk more and more on that paw and get back to the normal wear on it. Which leg is this again?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Her front left
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

Ok. That means that this can't be a cruciate injury. How old is she?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
This is her back paws in comparison
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
she will be 8 in january
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Is there anything I can do to speed up getting this off her paws and helping her heal faster?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

That back paw looks like it should. The hyperkeratosis should be due to decreased use and wear on that particular pad. I wouldn't feel that this situation is one that is causing any health issues for her. More than likely the best thing for her is to let her rest and hopefully have that leg continue to mend itself. Could she have arthritis in that leg? If she's still limping on it quite a bit, a vet exam to evaluate her and to start her on some arthritis medication would be a good idea.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
she is actually taking Hip & joint advanced plus omegas by NaturVet
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
She has had arthritis in her back legs so we started her on that and it has helped her a lot
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Problem with her healing is we have stairs going out back she has to climb up and down so if there is anything I can do to speed up the process of getting her pad back to normal that would be great.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

That is great that she's responded well to that supplement. Adding into that an NSAID like Rimadyl or Metacam through your vet could help to provide further comfort relief in this type of a situation. I wouldn't feel that the hyperkeratosis on that pad is causing her to have mobility issues. More than likely it is secondary to the underlying issue that is causing the discomfort. I would hope that the addition of that NSAID through your vet would really help her.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
ok that sounds good I will make an appointment for her this week and take her in
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

I'm hoping for the best for this girl! That medication through them and most likely time will hopefully have some very positive results.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
ok thank you :)
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

Give her a good ear scratching for me since I can't be there to do it. Take care!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
sounds good :) Have a good day!
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 23 days ago.

You too! If you don't have any more questions, please feel free to rate my help. The question stays on my list of open questions if this isn't done. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 21 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?