Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has a hacking type cough. He has been to my Vet and

Customer Question

My dog has a hacking type cough. He has been to my Vet and his heart and respiratory system are all clear . They did an X Ray. Is there any over the counter medication I can give this 29 lb jack Russel? Help I cant sleep!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help Russel. How old is Russel?
Customer: Not the question. Not lethargy. A cough. Is there any way to alleviate the Cough? He is 10 and ,as I said medically cleared.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Russel?
Customer: No. Just an annoying cough.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! if it continues I would talk to your vet about anti cough medications such as tussigon which reduces inflammation yet also dilates the bronchioles and decreases recurring coughs.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman