Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 11 months black male Labrador is suffering from intense

Customer Question

My 11 months black male Labrador is suffering from intense pain in his perianal region. I noticed whenever I used to lift his tail he cry painfully and does not sit since last 3 days. We inspected his perianal region with great difficulty but did not notice anything. But the dog is in severe pain. We give him boil goat meat specially head portion. Wha to do? Might be bone get stuck to anus.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Thunder
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Thunder?
Customer: His bowel habit is normal before and taking his food.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Thunder. Did he get bones in the goat meat? If this pain if from a bone in his colon, he would probably be straining to defecate, and possibly passing some blood while he strains.

There is a condition, called "limber tail" where the base of a dog's tail becomes very painful. The tail hangs down, he does not wag it and it is very painful if touched. We don't know the cause but the good news is it usually clears up after a few days. Pain medication can be helpful.

The only way to know if this is from a bone would be an Xray, or to reach inside with a finger and feel for bone pieces in his colon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response! I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if you have more questions.