jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog has been chewing and biting himself to the point of

Customer Question

My dog has been chewing and biting himself to the point of no fur, bleeding, swelling & then some and he still licks after that. The vet just gives us antibiotics and they work but it always comes back. He doesn't have fleas or ticks and I have him on limited ingredient grain free diet. I cannot afford to keep taking him to the vet when they aren't helping me get rid of whatever is wrong with him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He had a cone on for about a month while he healed last time and then a muzzle to prevent licking his paws, which cause his nose to get huge dry patches and fur loss all around his mouth.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I paid and nobody has responded, it's been about half hour maybe longer. Is this a hoax?
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Your question went to the vet only side of the system and was just opened up to the pet expert side where other non vet verified experts can answer which include vet assistants, technicians, etc.

I totally understand what you are going through. Unfortunately, in cases like this, your vet treats the skin dermatitis with steroids and antibiotics, sometimes shampoos, but never addresses the underlying allergy which causes the skin issues. Food trials can be done, and this is effective when a food switch triggered the skin issues to begin with. I personally think that allergy testing, while expensive, is cost effective since then the allergen can be avoided or the dog desensitized to the allergen.

With a limited diet food, it first needs to not contain the allergen. The second thing is it has to be a food allergy. If it isn't a food item, a food switch won't help. It might be a pollen, cleaning supply or even a type of grass. There is a medication that seems to help when the allergen is one that can not be avoided. It is called atopica. You can read about this here:

http://us.atopica.com/en/

You will need to clear up the dermatitis one last time but the medication may help keep it from occurring again after that.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that's anything like apopqual? That's what they gave him for the itch and when I looked it up, that's was all it was for. A waste of my money because it did nothing for him but stop the itch until it was gone then it was worse then before

They are two different medications. I've seen a lot of dogs respond well to atopica who apoquel ended up not being as effective.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there any place I can get this medication and possible and antibiotic without having him go in for an office visit, to help me save some money

Not that I know of but there are vets that will give you a free office visit. If you can get your current vet to transfer or copy records and have them sent to the other vet, they shouldn't have to do any testing, so you would basically only be paying for the medications. In some cases, antibiotics might be cheaper at a human pharmacy versus paying at the vet office so be sure to get a prescription and check prices as well. These vets may offer a free initial visit though you may have to pay for extra procedures and medications. See the next one for the coupons.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/directory.html?utm_content=link.corp.ffe.locator.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

Now some vets will try and recommend extra procedures and tests but you are the one who has to make the decision to allow that or not so be sure you know what procedures they are planning on doing before they do it to avoid unexpected charges. Your dog has likely had skin scrapings and you know what antibiotics seem to be effective at helping clear the skin dermatitis. So you can recommend they prescribe that antibiotic and tell them you want to try the atopica to see if it works better than the apoquel.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could this also be why he I continuously crying and whining and talking and barking? I think he's trying to tell me he is hurting or itchy and I just feel so bad that I can't help. I don't want to over bath him either.

Sorry for the delay, I had an appointment. It could definitely be why he is crying and whining. If his skin is hypersensitive, he is uncomfortable. Too frequent bathing can dry out the skin though when bathing with the shampoos, you need to leave them on long enough for them to work on the skin. I generally recommend lathering, letting it sit for 10-15 minutes, add a little water and relather before rinsing.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.